Two or three 'stops' you have in this article The biggest idea for me was the idea that the foundation of nearly all components of the school from the physical plant to the curriculum is really based on tradition rather than careful thought into what is really needed to develop 'holistic' adults. Judging from Eisner's bio, before I read the article, I was expecting a long discussion on how the Arts were underserved in schools. It was interesting to read how so many things were underserved, not just the arts. In addition, his point about the 'class' system and competition in school whereby some students get tracked to 'honors' classes and their grades count for more than a regularly tracked student. I remember this system in my high school - students were tracked early, around 6-7th grade and then they stayed on those tracks. I was tracked high for math and this carried with it a 'cache' that I remember I liked. Ways that this might...
Thanks Ellen, Sue and Vincent! This is one of my favourite curricular topics.
ReplyDeleteI think the lesson you've planned is too long for the given time, and I would recommend dropping the review of sin, cos and tan at the start. It's not really part of this topic, and you don't have time to do a review.
In the main body of the lesson, be careful not too: a) concentrate TOO much on 'tricks' (as it can lead students to believe that math is all just a big list of meaningless magic tricks that you have to memorize exactly). Mind you, the tips and tricks you are showing sound very interesting -- they are ones I have never encountered!
b) Make sure that the lesson is not all just teacher-talk and explanation -- be sure to have some student participatory engagement, even in this short micro teaching lesson!
c) Make sure your 'hook' is more than just saying the topic of the lesson. (For just one possible example, can you offer some kind of interesting teaser about the fact that triangle trig is now going to transform into circles and sinusoidal curves?) The 'hook' should be brief but also intriguing.
c) I don't think you'll have time to deal with ACTS/ CAST and the signs of the four quadrants in this very short lesson. Stick to what can actually be accomplished in 15 minutes, rather than trying to pack in more! It will give you space to really do a good job with the teaching.
Thanks! Looking forward to a great lesson.